SEPTEMBER/OCTOBER 2023 GRANGE NEWS
Fall is right around the corner. Pumpkin Spice Everything has filled our stores. Colored leaves and pumpkins will be here before we know it.
Hopefully you have completed your Community Service Report or are working on completing it. If you were not able to complete a Community Service booklet this year, you can still fill out the Community Service Summary Report Form and submit it as your Community Service Report without a booklet.
All nominations for the VIP Award, Law Enforcement Officer, Firefighter/EMT and Teacher of the Year nominates, along with your Community Service Report are due to me by September10th. You may mail all your nominations and your Community Service Report in the same package.
I have tried to pass along information in pervious Grange Newsletters as a guide and have mailed out your registration form along with the guidelines for your report. Your Community Service letter and
Nominations forms have also been posted on the Michigan Grange website. If you have any questions at all please give me a call or email me.
Remember your Community Service Report and Award Nominations need to be to me in Battle Creek on or before September 10th, 2023 to be judged.
With the start the new Grange calendar year, lets try and find a new Community Service Project to do this year.
As you prepare for State Grange, remember to bring your Sesquicentennial Display Board of your Community Services and/or the History of your Grange, that you made for the Sesquicentennial Gala, to State Convention in Adrian, Michigan. We will be displaying the boards at State Session along with other items for all to see.
Enjoy the remaining days of summer, and I’ll see you at the Michigan State Grange convention.
Mary Ann Rocco
JULY/AUGUST 2023 GRANGE NEWS
Summer is a busy time for all families. We have many Grange activities happening in the next few months. Lets try to support our fellow Granges by attending some of these activities.
We have a new judging matrix this year. A copy of it will be sent to all Community Service chairmen. The focus is still the services you are providing to your community, the continuing services as well as any new ones.
As you are working on your community service projects, I hope you were able to expand and add a new project this year.
It’s never too late to give a helping hand to your community.
Here are a couple of ideas:
- Read a book to a person who is visually impaired.
- Tutor a child during summer break.
- Volunteer to help with Vacation Summer School in your area.
- Continue to collect coupons for local food pantries and shelters.
No project is too small when helping others.
Special awards were outlined in last months Michigan Grange News. Refer to it if you are thinking about nominating a special person in your Grange.
August 31st marks the end of our Community Service year. Your Community Service Report is due on September 10th, 2023. That means it needs to be delivered to the State Community Service Director on or before that date. (If special arrangements need to be made for the delivery of your Community Service Report please contact me.)
Mary Ann Rocco
145 Beadle Lake Drive, Battle Creek, Michigan 49014
(Just a little note, when mailing your materials please put Drive on the address. There is also Beadle Lake Road and a Beadle Lake in the same zip code.)
Here is a review of information and organization of our Community Service Report.
The Notebook Reports
- Please place the summary report at the beginning of the Notebook. It is required!
- Please do not send more than one Notebook. Notebooks cannot be larger than a 2 inch binder
- Videotapes and computer discs cannot be used in place of a report for judging.
Organize the Notebooks
- Tell the your story as you organize your projects
- Group the projects together
- Keep items that support your projects, like thank you letters and newspaper articles, with or without photos.
- Simplify your notebook by selecting the best couple of photos for each project.
- Be concise and stick to the point. More is not always better.
Ways to Organize
- Organize by New Projects and Continuing Projects
- Or-Organize in chronological order from the beginning to the end of the year
- Or -Organize by the largest projects to the smallest projects
- Keep the page clean and concise
- List all project at the beginning of the book (Index)
- Donations for a project should be noted
- If tabs are use make sure they are secured so they don’t fall out
- Remember the notebook maximum size is a 2-inch binder.
Something to think about
- Each State Grange may submit one nominee for each category, Firefighter, Law Enforcement Officer and Teacher of the Year. A Dedicated Worker and a Very Important Person Award.
- Nominations need to be turned in with your Community Service Report (Nomination forms will be sent to your Community Service chairman soon)..
The National Grange website has information on the Do’s and Don’ts of a Community Service Report.
COMMUNITY SERVICE REPORTS ARE DUE SEPTEMBER 10th, 2023.
Stay safe and enjoy your summer!